Jack Davis / Mercedes-Benz Type 219 sedan / Nevada / June 30, 2006
Editor's Note: This page was originally based on IPOG message 49226 "219 turn signal flasher." When updating the page in January 2015, determined Jack Davis was an IPOG member from May 2006 to September 2007. His old email address was bouncing as of January 2015.
OK, I'll admit it – I'm cheap, and retired.
Your friendly auto parts store will sell you a three-prong, 12 volt replacement blinker relay (flasher unit) for your Mercedes-Benz Ponton for seven bucks instead of the 170 smackeroos the dealer wants. All brands will work exactly the same, and are labeled the same. It does not matter at all where you buy the replacement part.
Notes / Addendum
|International Ponton Owners Group (IPOG)
discussions led to the
Original blinker relays had four terminals (reference Job 54-16), and the fourth wire was ground (brown wire). The original style, four terminal relays are NLA. The replacement three terminal relay canister is grounded through the mounting clip (see photo), so the fourth wire is not necessarily needed if transitioning from an original, four terminal relay to the three terminal unit.
January 5, 2015
* Price and availability subject to change over time.
The terminals on the old, expensive flasher unit are replaced thus...
- Terminal "49 (15)" becomes "X" on the new flasher (black/brown wire) "power in."
- Terminal "C (K)" becomes "P" on the new flasher (green wire) "dash light."
- Terminal "49a (54)" becomes "L" on the new flasher (black/green/white wire) "lamps."
- Terminal "31" (on four terminal relays) becomes redundant (brown wire) "ground/earth" – the new relay canister will be grounded via the mounting clip.
OEM, three terminal replacement Bosch blinker relay and mounting clip.
Bosch part number 0 336 203 005 (12v / 18W)
Photo added January 5, 2015
I realize the little Ponton can no longer be a show car after this conversion, but the turn signals now flash normally, and I can almost hear the flasher unit clicking from the engine bay.
Type 219 sedan
Original source: IPOG message 49226 / Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:18 pm